- The word Gond comes from Kond, which means green mountains in the Dravidian idiom.
- Deeply connected with nature and natural elements, Gonds have traditionally drawn inspiration and represented their stories using strong natural elements.
- The paintings use vibrant colors like orange, yellow, blue and red, and are created with articulately drawn lines and dots as the method to bring it to life. With natural colors obtained from various sources like flowers, stones, etc. are used for the creation of these beautiful paintings.
- The Gond artists have developed their own devices to work with various contemporary mediums and materials.
- They would first make dots and calculate the volume of the images. These dots would be connected to bring about an outer shape, which would then be filled with colours. As they respond to the immediate social situation and environment, each object they come across in life is aesthetically transformed. The images are tattoos or minimalist human and animal forms.
- Gond paintings have been centuries-old, with the passage of time, this art form has gradually shifted from the mud walls of the houses to canvas and papers. Apart from deriving inspirations from legends and myths, these paintings majorly feature nature as their main subject.
There are no reviews yet.